In the fast moving world that we live in, we constantly strive to achieve the best. In so doing, it often results in us getting frustrated when we are unable to attain the “perfect” balance in life. The concept of job satisfaction can be determined by a person’s comprehension of the tasks provided to them, communication in a company and the way in which the management treats their employees. Whilst it is largely based on the person’s perception of satisfaction, it is nevertheless, the level of contentment a person feels about his/her job1.
A sad but true representation of how people perceived their job satisfaction was illustrated in a recent survey with 411 responses whereby only a mere 19% were satisfied with their jobs. So how exactly, do these 19% find satisfaction in their jobs? Here we share with you some great tips on how you can turn around those glum days and bring satisfaction back to your job:
- Be positive.
- As cliché as it is, it is in fact, the cause of what makes people dissatisfied with what they are doing. So, instead of focusing on what you don’t want, focus on what you DO want. Visualise the environment, boss, colleagues and work that you enjoy and go for it. In other words, turn your negativity into your desired outcome.
- Fall in love, again.
- With your job, that is. It is common for us to dive into our work and in the midst of the chaos, forget why we loved what we did in the first place. So make a list of the things you love about your job so that whenever you start feeling down and dissatisfied, you can go back to the list to remind yourself the great things about your job and orient your mind to make the situation positive.
- Be proactive. Be the changer.
- Perhaps you have been stuck at the job for a while now and work has been feeling rather stale. Could it be time to expand and enrich your job responsibilities? Consider a transfer to a different department or job role that can expand your knowledge, options and experience.
- Be disciplined.
- Procrastination is the thief of time, as they say. A very common habit that most of us are guilty of having; it is one of the worst work habits as it negatively impacts job satisfaction. Whilst it might not affect you immediately, as work starts piling and deadlines you have promised on have long past, you will start to feel unhappy as the weight of guilt wears you down. Make checklists, commit to complete each task one at a time, you will start to see a positive change in your job satisfaction.
- You are what you eat.
- Have a heavy meal and you will have a heavy head that will result in you feeling sluggish and unproductive during work. Instead, try having a lighter meal and have healthy snacks such as fruits and nuts to maintain your energy throughout the day.
We hope these tips prove to be helpful for you and if you have some tips to share, please share with us in the comments below.
Join us at Oil & Gas Career Opportunities in LinkedIn for more articles on how you can further improve your job satisfaction and much more.