With us rapidly progressing to achieve modernisation, there is a growing demand for even greater and efficient infrastructure than ever before. As such, lifting capacities of cranes are continuously increasing to meet the demands of large scale lifts such as power plants, industrial projects, etc. Appropriately known as supercranes, lifting professionals have witnessed a rather drastic increase in capacities of supercranes that have skyrocketed from 2,000 tons to more than 6,800 tons within the past 8 years. There are various types of cranes – from mobile to tower cranes. Hence, in this list compiled by FieldLens, from world record breaking to people getting heartbroken at its dismantling, the nature of the work that the crane is built for and its lifting capacity are taken into consideration as we show you the greatest cranes in modern times.
- Mobile Crane Category
- Winner: Liebherr Mobile Crane LTM 11200-9.1
- Lifting Capacity: 1,200 metric tons
- Why: Aside from it being the most powerful crane ever built, it also has the longest telescopic boom in the world – extending fully to 100meters.
- Crane Vessel Category
- Winner: SSCV Thiaf
- Lifting Capacity: 14,200 metric tons
- Why: Otherwise known as the biggest crane vessel in existence, it’s size is so large that it is also a shipping vessel that houses a few hundred workers.
- Gantry Crane Category
- Winner: Taisun Gantry Crane
- Lifting Capacity: 20,000 metric tons
- Why: A Guinness Book of World Records holder, it is the world’s biggest gantry crane. Enough said.
Marvels in their own right, these supercranes certainly are a sight to behold in the crane industry. Do you have others to share with us? Come join us in discussion on PETROGAS ASIA in LinkedIn. Source: FieldLens